Thursday 6 February 2014

Love in the Time of the Internet and Artificial Intelligence

Finally I have time to sit down and write what I thought about this film! I've been thinking about it since I saw it a few days ago and I think it's a brilliant movie. I was expecting so much from it and it didn't disappoint so I'm very happy about that.

While listening to the soundtrack it made me realize something. Maybe I like this movie so much is because I can relate to it? Am I sad and lonely like Theodore but I just don't want to admit it? He's just too damn lonely all the time and he was happy for that time when he was in love with Samantha, the OS. Which is sad once you think about it... when you can reach out and touch someone and when you actually have REAL friends, how can something artificial make you the happiest? Is it because that thing is a reflection of you and projections of your hopes and dreams? Why would you rather spend more time with something that won't go anywhere rather than start with something that would... like with Theodore and the Olivia Wilde character? Is it because you're afraid of getting hurt? Isn't getting hurt also a part of the whole experience?

And is it true that you won't get hurt? I mean, he seemed pretty hurt when she went away didn't he? I've always thought being in love begins with letting people in, and in this case Theodore let Samantha in. It didn't matter if she was artificial. If you give someone a chance to be a part of your life he/she will always be there with you when you go through life even if you've parted ways. Once you've let him  into your heart and thoughts he'll always be there with you, and this is what "forever" means to me.

Looking at it from this angle, could it be that eventually, someone who means the world to you, that one person who you can't live without, can he or she be just someone you used to know in a couple of years?

I don't really have the answer to that. I just know people serve a function in our lives and maybe they just have to go. We just have to let them go because maybe it also isn't the right time to have them with us or maybe they need to have time apart from us.


No comments:

Post a Comment